The winter holiday is the period when we make the biggest excesses, and we forget about any healthy routine. It is the time when we eat a lot of fatty foods, sweets, alcohol, in any combination. It is also a time when we are the perfect couch potatoes, leaving behind any intention of workout or exercise. Now, the spoiling period is over, and we have to start being fit and active. We have to make sure that all the calorie cocktail you took in during winter holidays won’t stay too much in your body. And to have a great effect and regain your energy back, a good detox routine will help you get rid of all those bad substances that are slowing you down.
Here are the main steps you should make for a fitness startup in the New Year:
- Don’t overdo it
You finally decided is time to do some exercises. That’s great. But be careful not to overdo it, because you have to get familiar with an exercise program, not to compensate all the past time you did not do any work outs. So start out in an easy, but constant way, regardless if you go to the gym or jog. A schedule will also help you to remain constant in your workout.
- Start with a warm-up
Always start your workout with a muscle warm-up. You need to do some stretching to help muscles built inner heat, which will prepare them for an increased performance. Never jump in without a warm-up because you risk a painful muscle stretch. For instance, yoga moves can be great for stretching.
- Keep your body hydrated
It doesn’t matter what kind of exercise you are doing, because you still need to maintain a proper hydration level during a workout. If you don’t do this properly, you won’t be able to sustain your physical effort. Remember that your body is mostly made out of water, and you lose a good quantity through sweating.
- Be careful of your body posture
If you want to obtain the best result in your workouts, you have to make sure you have the proper position while working out. Running, fitness or training machines, you should keep a correct body position if you want to work every muscle and to feel the benefits of an active life.
- You should always recover after a workout
Just finishing your set of exercises or completing a running session is not enough to maintain a healthy body. Make sure you rehydrate after making effort to avoid fatigue, dizziness or headaches. Make post-workout stretching and allow your muscle to relax and redeem their flexibility. Grab a snack, made out of healthy proteins and carbohydrates, to replenish the energy loss. Make sure not to reward yourself with a big ice-cream or a large pizza during the day, because all the calories you burned during your workout will mean nothing and your work will be in vain. Go for fresh foods instead.
Now that we covered the aspect of how to start a correct workout program, a detox diet will help you clean your body of all those bad residues and give you the energy you need. Here are some great detox advices:
- Drink plenty of liquids. Water, with a slice of lemon, green tea or herbal tea are all great. Avoid at all costs sodas, sweetened drinks or alcohol.
- Include citrus fruits in your diet, especially breakfast. Oranges, red or regular, grapefruits and lemons are excellent for dissolving fats and removing unwanted substances.
- Green is good and has an antioxidant effect. Try to eat as many varieties of fresh and green vegetables like broccoli, lettuce, cucumber. Eat them raw or cook them using steams to avoid the loss of nutritional value.
- Use natural fibers to balance your digestion and clean residues. Carrots, celery, parsley, radishes and peppers are an excellent source of natural fibers. Whole grain cereals, ate with Greek yogurt, is another way to get fibers into your system.